Wednesday 22 July 2015

60th Birthday Party at an Orphanage


My Pastor, Rev. Daniel Amoako Nyarko, turned 60 last Friday, July 18, 2015. He decided to celebrate his birthday with the children of the Safe Haven Foster home at Adenta in Accra. So as a gift to make his 60th birthday memorable, we took over the event planning, design and coordination for the day.

With the horror stories of how children are treated in orphanages, I was skeptical about the motives of the people at the orphanage. But when we visited the home unannounced, I was highly impressed with the neatness of the place. The home was established by a Ghanaian couple, based in Switzerland. They have built a beautiful home for the 15 orphans. The children are in the care of Uncle Sam and his wife, as well as two other women, who also live at the home with the children. The children attend a good school in the neighbourhood, and they speak very good English.

The children thoroughly enjoyed the birthday party. They wore their party clothes and were truly ready to party. The joy on their faces as they enjoyed the food, drinks and good music was incredible.

I was touched by this trip to the orphanage because recently I’ve been complaining about the harsh economic conditions in Ghana and not having enough money to cater for all my ‘needs’. But this visit was a wake-up call to look beyond my own needs.

The founder of the orphanage could be making a lot of money by renting the house, yet he chose to make it a home for the orphans. The joy on the children’s faces showed that I don’t need much to be happy.

I was particularly touched by a three-year old boy called Kwame. I had a soft spot for him because he’s about the same age as my son Nana Yaw. I was sad that he didn’t have his biological parents taking care of him. However, thanks to the management of Safe Have Foster Home, he now had a family.

I’m sharing this post to inspire you to think of the less-privileged in the society. Don’t wait until you have met all your needs before you give to others. Remember that it is more blessed to give than to receive. So the next time you’re organizing a party, consider extending the celebration to the children in an orphanage.


            

                                                  Little Kwame Dancing 


No comments:

Post a Comment